Nano Fertiliser Plant - Kalol
Government of India has been promoting sustainable Agriculture and guiding the farmers to “reduce the use of chemical fertilisers” in the country. In a move towards achieving the goal, IFFCO is involved in high end research in nano fertilisers. Nano-fertilizers by the virtue of unique size and higher surface area to volume ratio, exert multiple benefits such as higher nutrient use efficiency, better absorption into plant system and higher crop yield.
IFFCO successfully launched Nano Urea during 2021 that has received wide acceptance among farmers. In continuation of Nano Urea, Nano DAP has been successfully invented and tested in multiple crops across India in collaboration with State Agricultural Universities, ICAR and Krishi Vigyan Kendras (KVK). After promising results from field trials, IFFCO ventured into commercial scale production of Nano DAP product from the existing Nano Fertiliser Plant and at its Expansion Facility at Kalol.
Conceptualized in 2021 to produce 2.0 Lakhs bottles per day of Nano DAP at total cost of around 300 Crores, production of Nano DAP from the Expansion facility at Kalol is expected to start shortly. Meanwhile, in March 2023, IFFCO Nano DAP has been notified for inclusion in Fertiliser Control Order (FCO) and its commercial production started from April 2023.
Nano DAP at Kalol Unit encompasses Nano DAP Production Unit, Bottle and cap manufacturing Unit and Bottling Unit besides other auxiliary facilities like Air compressor, Chillers, HVAC, etc. Nano DAP Production Unit has various reactors, tanks, Pumps, and filters which are operated through state-of-the-art DCS. IFFCO Nano DAP (liquid) has been notified by Fertilizer Control Order (FCO, 1985), Government of India.
Nano DAP contains 8.0 % total nitrogen (w/w) and 16% total Phosphorous as P2O5 (w/w). Nano DAP particle size varies from 20-50 nm. These particles are evenly dispersed in water. Nano DAP, because of its small size (20-50nm) and higher use efficiency (> 80 %), when sprayed on leaves of plant at critical growth stages, it enters through stomata and other openings and is assimilated by the plant cells. Because of phloem transport it is distributed from source to sink inside the plant wherever, it is required. Unutilized nitrogen and Phosphorous is stored in the plant vacuole and are slowly released for proper growth and development of the plant.
HDPE Bottles and Caps are produced in-house from Blow molding and Injection Molding machines. High speed Bottling line is installed to fill Nano DAP inside 500 mL Bottles. 24 Nos. of Bottles are packaged inside cartons for dispatch to required destinations across India.
Since its inclusion in FCO, Nano DAP production has started in the existing facility from April 2023. Around 41.9 Lakhs Bottles of Nano DAP have already produced with dispatch of around 32 Lakhs. Nano DAP Bottles have been dispatched pan India covering all the States from J&K in North to Tamil Nadu in South, Gujarat, Rajasthan in West and far off North-Eastern States. Nano DAP has been acknowledged as wonder fertiliser not only in India but abroad too. Many samples of Nano DAP have been exported to various countries.
IFFCO Nano DAP offers a variety of benefits.
- Higher crop yield: Due to small size and more surface area to volume ratio; seed treatment and foliar application of Nano DAP at critical growth stages enhances nutrient availability to crops. Hence crop yield increases due to increase in leaf chlorophyll, photosynthesis, root biomass, number of effective tillers and branches.
- Increase in farmer’s income: IFFCO Nano DAP increases farmer’s income due to reduction in input cost, higher crop yield and better quality of crop produce.
- Quality food: Nutritional quality of harvested food produced was found to be better in terms of protein and nutrient content.
- Reduction in chemical fertilizer usage: Enhanced use efficiency of one bottle (500 mL) of Nano DAP can potentially replace the phosphorous requirement met by conventional DAP by 50%. Nano DAP helps in meeting the nitrogen and phosphorous requirements at critical growth stages leading to judicious application of bulk chemical fertilizer.
- Environment friendly: Production of Nano DAP is energy and resource friendly. The field application of Nano DAP reduces excessive application of bulk fertilizer like DAP and reduction in associated volatilization, leaching and run off losses. Precision and targeted application of Nano DAP to crops therefore leads to agriculture sustainability and safety of the environment by reducing soil, air and water pollution.
- Easy to store and transport: Nano DAP is required in small quantity vis a vis bulky phosphatic fertilizer like DAP. This has a significant impact on logistics and warehousing of the fertilizer. Farmers can physically carry bottles of Nano DAP easily in comparison to bulky phosphatic fertilizer.